Sunday, September 01, 1996

Deleted Scene: Hard Eight, Scene 5

SCENE 5 (after John switches from back-seat to front seat)



INT. SYDNEY'S CAR - MOVING - MORNING/LATER  


Sydney driving, John in the passenger seat.  HOLD.  They drive for a while in silence, then: 


   
SYDNEY
My Uncle died in 1949.  He was a policeman in Boston.  My Uncle worked as a policeman in Boston for thirteen years and he was fired upon twenty three times in the line of duty without being hit.
(beat)
One morning: He woke up, got dressed, walked outside and down the street.  He went to buy his coffee and his paper.  He walked fifty yards from his house...he was fifty yards from reaching the store.  He slipped on a patch of ice, fell down and cracked his forehead open on the pavement.  

BEAT.

SYDNEY
There are thirty-six possible combinations of numbers on a pair of dice.  There's one way to roll a two and six ways to roll a seven.  That's the math.  That is what can be proven.  If you want to roll a four, how can you do it?  What are the combinations?

JOHN
...Combinations...

SYDNEY
What number plus what number equals four?

JOHN
Two plus two.

SYDNEY
What else?

JOHN
Three and one.

SYDNEY
What else?

JOHN
...That's it.

SYDNEY
One and three.

JOHN
I said that.

SYDNEY
There are three ways to make a four, John.  Two and two, three and one, one and three.  That's the math.  It's the only given in the situation.  Only thing is: we can't control how they come up.  In walking down the street to buy a cup of coffee, we relinquish the control to what?  Maybe, to who?  I don't know.  But it doesn't matter to what or who or why, because that's the way it is.  We've got nothing to do with any of it.
(beat)
All we can do is bet on it.

HOLD.  They drive for a while in silence, then:

JOHN
Can I get a cigarette from you?

4 comments:

  1. This is great! It's really insightful to read these scenes that didn't make it into the picture. I mean, everything that ended up not going in I think helped the picture work, because it seems to clear up a lot of the mystery regarding Sydney's past. Despite now knowing that PTA envisioned the charatcer having children, the flashbacks etc; I think the film worked best when it left the audience filling in the blanks. Nevertheless, it's great to catch a glimpse of his original intentions. I've been struggling for years to find a copy of the Hard Eight screenplay (it's not even online) so finding these little samples is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of which have been presented by this website was toyota yaris perfect, good appearance and artikelnya..penuh color and full of meaning ..

    ReplyDelete

  3. شركة بريق متخصصة فى النظافة العامة بجدة تنظيف شقق فلل مكاتب مساجد تنظيف بالبخار بجدة تنظيف مفروشات ستائر مجالس سجاد كنب غسيل الاسطح وتنظيف الخزانات الكشف عن تسريبات المياه رش المبيدات وقتل الحشرات بأفضل الاسعار وأعلى جودة - شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة - شركة غسيل منازل بجدة - شركة تنظيف منازل بالبخار بجدة - شركة ترتيب وتنظيف المنازل بجدة - مكتب تنظيف منازل بجدة - شركة رسمية لتنظيف المنازل بجدة - مؤسسة رسمية لتنظيف المنازل بجدة - مين جربت شركات تنظيف المنازل بجدة - كم أسعار شركات تنظيف المنازل بجدة - أسعار شركات تنظيف المنازل بجدة - شركة تنظيف منازل بجده - تنظيف البيوت بجدة - شركة تنظيف كنب بجدة - شركة تنظيف بخار بجدة - شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة - شركة تنظيف شقق بجدة - شركة نظافة في جدة - شركة نقل عفش بجدة - ارخص شركه تنظيف بجده - شركه تنظيف بالبخار بجدة - تنظيف المسابح والخزانات - شركة تنظيف مجالس بجدة - شركة تنظيف مفروشات بالبخار بجدة - تنظيف الاسطح والارضيات - رش المبيدات ومكافحة الحشرات - عزل الأسطح والخزانات - نظافة شقق المغتربين والمقيمين - تنظيف الاستراحات تنظيف الخيام

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so Happy to write this article because I know it will help a lot of people who are suffering from Herpes. I am here to testify about the wonderful and most safe cure for herpes . I was positive to the deadly Virus called herpes and I lost hope completely because I was rejected even by my closest friends. I searched online to know and inquire about a cure for herpes and I saw testimony online on how Herbalist Valchy cured so many people from Herpes virus and other similar diseases. I decided to contact the great herbalist because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural roots and herbs. After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure is ready and he sent it to me via UPS and it got to me after 4 days. I used the medicine as he instructed (morning and evening ) and I got cured. it's really like a dream but I'm so happy that's the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved just like me and if you need his help, contact him via Email: herbalistvalchynaturalremedies@gmail.com or WhatsApp:+2347036769718 reachout to his website https://herbalistvalchynaturalremedies.simdif.com/

    ReplyDelete